With their latest creation at 6333 Old Chesterbrook Road, McLean, AV Architects and Builders has once again delivered a unique, thoughtful dream custom home that will, in their words, feel like you are on vacation year-round. Light and tranquility are apparent in all the details of this excellent example of modern design. The drive up to the house is the first experience of AV Architects thoughtful craft. The situation of this modern custom home on the 1.2 acre lot takes advantage of the contours of the hill on which it sits, angled to capture the best of sun exposure and privacy. The architects built the house to embrace the existing land and flora, preserving several ancient trees, and a creek running along the rear of the property. These natural features are easily viewed from the house, another intentional design detail. Built from sustainable green products, the house offers beautiful, high-end features with durable, low maintenance construction. Entering the house, one is struck instantly with impressions of space and light. The use of windows and proportions creates an airy feeling. The height in the foyer and the spacious, banquet dining room open into a two-story great room with a variety of windows designed to capture the eye and brighten the room. Details like a see-through gas fireplace feature keep the sense of openness and flow, which continues onto a thousand square-foot covered porch with views to the stunning outdoor space. With details like an ample mudroom off the garage and a full size pantry adjoining a butlers pantry for the dining room, there is space to keep clutter to a minimum and maintain the modern, serene minimalism of the house. The first floor also contains a powder room and an oversized, well wired home-office. Off at an angle, shielded from the rest of the main floor, is an enormous master suite, which has two walls of windows overlooking the back yard. The suite has his and hers walk-in closets and a bathroom with a rain shower and stand-alone tub with its own, private views. An open stairwell, set at pleasing angles against more windows, leads to the second floor where each of the three bedrooms has a spacious walk-in closet and an en-suite bathroom. The top floor is rounded out by an over-sized laundry room and an open hall that looks out over the great room, adding again to the sense of space and light. The lower floor continues the overall feel of the house. It features an enormous, open family area with a space ready to build-in a wet bar, The level also has a separate exercise room with rubber floors and more, ample storage. The main area features a walk-out patio, which is also accessed by a full bath. The outdoor space blends into the hillside, maximizing the light inside, and ready for the installation of a swimming pool outside. The lower floor is completed by a private bedroom suite with its own entrance. Once again, the room and its en-suite full bath feature walls of windows facing beautiful flora in the yard. This is a wonderful, private retreat for a guest.Throughout, the high-quality, thoughtful details enhance the experience of the house. High-end appliances in the kitchen and laundry, porcelain bathroom details, modern, unique lighting fixtures and hundreds of other small decisions were made by AV Architects to add to the luxurious comfort that this house embodies. From top to bottom, it feels like a place that a family can use for day-to-day living, entertaining friends and family, relaxing and recharging. It truly is a place where one can be on vacation year-round.
Single Family, Single Family-Detached, Contemporary, Villa, Transitional
6 Full/1 Half
Sump Pump, Electric Water Heater, Public Water Ser
Fiber Cement Siding, Brick, Composite Shingle, Gla
8,727 sq. ft
Yes - 3 spaces
Cable TV, Electric service available, Onsite Telephone
Fairfax County Public Schools
Detailed Room Information
- Den/Study, Kitchen, Storage, Exercise Room, Mud Room, Breakfast Room
- Dining Area
- Butler Pantry, Gourmet Kitchen, Island
- Microwave, Range-Oven, Washer, Dishwasher, Freezer, Refrigerator, Disposal, Ice Maker, Double Oven, Wall Oven, Appliance Center, Six Burner Range, Gas Range/Cooktop
- Hardwood, Ceramic Tile, Slate
- Central Air, Electric, Heat Pump, A/C - Zone, Ceiling Fan(s)
- Gas Heat, Electric Heating. Heat Pump, Forced Air, Zone, Central.
- Partial, Full Finished, Full, Entrance Outside, Heated, Walkout
- Casement, Low-Emittance , Insulated, Screened
- 2+ Access Exits J, Main Level Entry, Entry Level Bedroom.
- Security System, Alarm -Smoke/Fire
- Additional Interior Features
- Built-Ins, Breakfast Area, Open Floor Plan, Sprinkler System, Walk-in Closets, Wood Floors, Fire Sprinklers, Multiple Phone Lines, Cathedral/vaulted Ceiling, 9Ft+ Ceilings, Tray
Exterior / Lot Features
- 3 Garage Spaces. Paved Driveway.
- Brick, Shingle, Glass, Fiber Cement
- Deck, Patio
- Lawn Sprinkler
- Metal, Composition Shingle
- Additional Exterior/Lot Features
- Exterior Lighting, Flood Lights, Front Yard, Landscaped, Back Yard. Front Yard, Landscaping, Rear Yard.
Active Market Trends
Median list price
Days On Market
Properties For Sale
Sold Market Trends
Median sold price
Median Sq. Ft. Price